Take some time this month to review diet, exercise, and lifestyle habits, to prevent heart disease.
10 Tips to Keep Your Heart Healthy:
- Don’t smoke
- Limit sodium intake – Excessive salt intake increases water retention in the body. If there is too much of the fluid in the body, internal organs such as kidneys and heart need to work harder to function and eliminate the toxins.
- Get regular exercise – The American Heart Association recommends a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate physical activity every week
- Limit dietary fat – especially saturated fat
- Eat more fiber – add soluble fiber to your diet by eating more oats, whole-grain rice and bran. Beans and potatoes are also healthful foods that are high in fiber
- Drink alcohol in moderation – no more than 2 drinks per day for men and 1 for women
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep every night
- Monitor added sugar intake – the American Heart Association recommends no more than 6 teaspoons of added sugar for women and 9 for men
- Manage stress
- Practice good dental hygiene – floss daily